Happy Monday my friends! This week, to honour her beloved but now departed minivan, Stasha asked us to write 10 things about our cars. I’ve been driving since I was 16, so have had a lot of cars, but there are a few things and memories that stand out about some of them.
– When I was in Grade 12, I had a ’81 Ford Mustang. The thing leaked oil and every time I stopped and parked it, like when I went to work, I had to check the oil levels before I could start it up again, and usually add some oil. Let’s just say I went through a lot of oil. You know what though? That car was COOL. Ask anyone who knew me back then.
– Also around that era, I drove a Pontiac Grand Le Mans. The thing was a big green boat, and man, could that car go. Plus, you could fit 3 people in the backseat. Not that I ever did, of course. 😉
– The first car that I ever bought myself was a Suzuki Sidekick 4×4 and I got it from https://vegasusedcars.com. It was a few years old, but it was mine. It was blue, with a stick transmission and a soft top convertible, and I was 19 years old. I loved that truck. I had an aftermarket deck installed in it, and for a while, there was a glitch with it and a couple of wires were crossed. There were two choices for volume. Quiet and LOUD. We used to drive to the beach in White Rock, and then to the clubs at night, with the stereo just blaring. TLC’s CrazySexyCool and the Offspring’s Smash were two of the CDs that we used to listen to. Man, does that ever bring back memories.
– The first car that I ever bought brand new was my 2005 Subaru Impreza. That car was my pride and joy and I adored it. It was cute, zippy and could handle almost anything. I had that car for 7 years, until I traded it in last year.
– I was rear ended in my Subaru when I was newly pregnant, before I even knew. Although my car and I were a bit dinged up, I truly believe that my beloved Subaru helped keep my little buddy safe, even though I didn’t know he was there yet.
– We brought Mr. Q home from the hospital, all 5 lbs 2 ozs of him, after 10 days in the NICU, in the Impreza. We had Pennywise’s Reasons to Believe album playing on the stereo, and we strapped him into his little seat, and I squished into the backseat with him. It was October 17, 2008.
– When Q was tiny, he didn’t like to sleep. The only place we could get him to sleep reliably was in the car. We must have put 1000’s of kilometres on the cars getting him to nap. We would often just get in the car and drive, and would end up in Manning Park, or Kamloops or Squamish. We would drive around the backroads and explore as we drove, for hours, so that he would sleep. The car was my sanity saviour during that time.
As you can see, he still sleeps in the car. It is actually the only place, outside of bedtime, that he will sleep. Ahhhh, quiet.
– When Q was 3 months old, we realized that we needed a second car. We had narrowed our choices down to a Nissan Xterra and a Toyota FJ Cruiser. When we took the Xterra for the final test drive, Q screamed and cried through the entire drive. When we took the FJ Cruiser out, he slept through the whole thing. Guess which one we bought?
– Last year, we started to feel that it was time to trade in the Subaru before it started to break down. In its place, I got a Hyundai Sonata, and I love it. I didn’t know if I would be able to love a car as much as my Subie, but I do. I love the heated seats, the dual zone climate control and the kickass stereo system. I also love the room that it has. It’s a great car. Q loves it too and still refers to it as “Mummy’s new car”. If you are looking to purchase a new vehicle, whether it is a new car or you want to move on to something like a van, you may want to look into a site like One Sure Insurance, who offer cheap van insurance and help find the latest deals on the market, to save you and your family money.
– A few months ago, we decided that the gas was getting too expensive for the FJ, so we decided that it was time to say goodbye and bring a new car into the family. After months of research, my husband finally decided on the Hyundai Veloster. Although Q was sad to see the FJ go, he loves the Veloster, as do we. It is a real head turner, and is great on the gas. For a family who loves to hit the road, this is important.
– Our cars have taken us on some amazing trips, both as a couple and as a family. We have made memories, had fun and seen some amazing sights. We drove to Calgary twice in the Subaru, have taken countless roadtrips to Whistler, Vancouver, and Vancouver Island. Last fall we drove to California, a 3 day drive each way, and had the most amazing trip. I guess you could say we are a road tripping family, and we love it that way.
I was talking to a friend about how they protect their family when they are going on family trips in the car and my friend said to me that she always has the number of a lawyer with her and the one she uses is Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C. the Car Accident Lawyer in Jersey City, NJ and they has always been so personable and helpful. They would always promptly answer her questions and guide her through the whole process.
Are you a car family? What was your favourite car?