This week for Monday Listicles, we are talking about all things birthday. I have to admit, since Q was born, a lot of preparation has gone into birthday parties. The cake, the decorations, the location. What, you think I would actually host a birthday party at home? Ahahaha!
I haven’t really had a birthday party for myself in years, not since my disastrous 30th birthday party which was lovingly and carefully planned, then not attended by a single person other than my husband. I thought about having one this year, but was still feeling a bit head-shy, if you will (plus I am too
cheap busy to plan a party that people might bail on again). So until such time as I grow a pair get around to planning a party for myself, most things birthday party related have to do with the Q man.
– The cakes – what is a party without cake? Since Q came along, I have discovered that I quite enjoy making fancy, fun cakes. Wanna see? The train cake I made for Q’s first birthday – my very first attempt at a fancy cake. This picture only shows half of the train, and man, were those cupcakes ever huge! One of the many dinosaur cupcakes I made for Q’s second birthday. I also made ones with spiderwebs and gummy spiders, but didn’t get a good picture of one. For his 3rd birthday, my Cars-obsessed boy requested a Lightning McQueen cake. It was my first
and last attempt at doing this kind of cake, and it surprised me how much work it required. It took me HOURS, as I made the icing from scratch and hand tinted all the colours. Don’t ask me what possessed me to do that. I’m pretty proud of how it turned out though.
– Balloons!!! What is a birthday-like celebration without balloons? We were at Disneyland just before Q’s 3rd birthday, and when we checked into the hotel, they gave him a bunch of balloons and a Birthday Boy button. He loved them.
– Treats – who doesn’t love a good birthday sundae? Or at least the whipped cream on top?
– Presents anyone?
– Fun times doing stuff you love
With the people you love to spend time with
– Last but not least, what kind of birthday party would it be without mummy ending up in tears or pulling her hair out over no-shows, people not RSVP’ing, or the cake not working just right? Don’t worry, I don’t have a picture of that one. 😉
What are your favourite things to do with birthdays? Do you like planning or celebrating?